Welcome to what is the 1120th original profile here at “Fanatical Republican Extremist of the Day”, where we’ll be profiling the sitting U.S. House Representative from Georgia’s 9th Congressional District, Andrew Clyde, a gun store owner who was first elected to office in 2020, sliding into the void left behind by the former honorable gentleman from Hee-Haw, Doug Collins, who made a run that year for U.S. Senate. During his campaign, Clyde was already showing he was thumbing his nose at any measures that might save lives, suing Athens-Clark County in Georgia over a shelter/stay-in-place order during the Covid-19 outbreak.
In his short time in office, Andrew Clyde has already shown a track record for being on the wrong side of history, voting against having a Juneteenth holiday, voting against the Emmett Till Anti-Lynching Act, and straight up leading the GOP campaign against naming a federal building after Joseph Hatchett, the first black member of the Florida Supreme Court, claiming his reason was because Hatchett opposed allowing prayer in schools. Y’know, because we are supposed to have a separation of church and state.
What truly is unsettling about Andrew Clyde, though, is that only days into his tenure, Donald Trump and his supporters staged a coup attempt upon the Capitol. During that attack, several terrifying photos were released by the media showing Andrew Clyde near the entrance to the chamber, and of Rep. Clyde screaming his head off while cowering behind Capitol Police in fear, and in interviews in the days that followed, he acknowledged he helped Capitol Police barricade the doors of the chamber shut.
Fast forward a few months, and Clyde was trying to gaslight the nation into believing we all never saw that and there aren’t photos, claiming that the coup attempt carried out by Trump supporters was just a “normal tourist visit”.
Y’know, the ones where people smash through windows, try to lynch the Vice President and Speaker of the House, murder a few cops, and smear their own s*** on the walls.
In the weeks that followed, Andrew Clyde twice voted against awarding medals to members of the Capitol Police who saved lives that day against overwhelming odds, and refused to shake hands with members of the Capitol Police who asked him about his selective memory regarding the events of January 6th.
Make no mistake, this douche-canoe is on Team Sedition.
- January 6th, 2021: Andrew Clyde votes for the objection to the electoral college’s votes in the 2020 election, a failure to send any sort of message that he wasn’t intimidated or sympathetic to those who attacked the Capitol to attempt a violent coup.
- January 13th, 2021: Rep. Clyde votes against the second impeachment of Donald Trump, because the Republican Party no longer feels like they should be accountable for anything, including failed coups that result in the deaths of both their participants and police officers.
- February 4th, 2021: Andrew Clyde votes to keep Marjorie Taylor Greene’s committee assignments, because he wouldn’t want her to be accountable for all the bigoted remarks and conspiracy theories she’s spread online (probably because she’s a kindred spirit).
- February 25th, 2021: Clyde votes against HR 5, the latest version of the Equality Act, that would provide workplace protections for LGBTQ Americans.
- February 28th, 2021: Andrew Clyde is one in only three people in Congress who vote against the Emmett Till Anti-Lynching Act.
- March 3rd, 2021: Rep. Clyde votes against HR 1, a bill created to prevent the corruption of money in politics, and protect voter access to the ballot box.
- March 3rd, 2021: Andrew Clyde votes against the George Floyd Justice in Policing Act of 2021.
- March 10th, 2021: Clyde votes against the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021, because he feels people deserve to die in poverty during a pandemic.
- March 17th, 2021: Rep. Clyde votes against the re-authorization of the Violence Against Women Act, likely because they feel the 2nd Amendment remaining absolute is more important than preventing people with a history of domestic abuse from owning a firearm (which statistics show, makes them more likely to use those firearms against women in their lives).
- March 17th, 2021: Clyde is one of twelve Republicans who pick a side to have rooted for in the failed coup attempt on 1/6/21 and votes against awarding Congressional gold medals to members of the Capitol Police who bravely defended members of Congress during the attack.
- May 19th, 2021: Andrew Clyde votes against HR 3233, the creation of a commission to investigate the Capitol Attack.
- May 20th, 2021: Clyde is one of 63 Republicans who vote against the Covid-19 Hate Crimes Act.
- June 15th, 2021: Rep. Clyde is one of twenty-one Republicans who pick a side to have rooted for in the failed coup attempt on 1/6/21 and votes against awarding Congressional gold medals to members of the Capitol Police who bravely defended members of Congress during the attack.
- June 16th, 2021: Andrew Clyde is one of 14 Republicans who vote against celebrating Juneteenth as a federal holiday.
- November 5th, 2021: Andrew Clyde votes against HR 3684, the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act.
- March 31st, 2022: Clyde votes against HR 6833, the Affordable Insulin Now Act, which would limit the cost that drug companies could list insulin at to $35 and make sure no diabetic was priced out of surviving their condition. Andrew Clyde would rather they be gouged by pharmaceutical giants and/or die.
- May 18th, 2022: Andrew Clyde is one of 192 Republicans who vote against HR 7790, to create supplemental funding for infant formula (while claiming to be pro- life).
- May 18th, 2022: Rep. Clyde votes against HR 350, the Domestic Violence Prevention Act, because these days, a plank of the Republican Party is ostensibly domestic terror.
- May 19th, 2022: Clyde votes against HR 7688, a bill which would help prevent gas companies from gouging customers on fuel prices.
- July 15th, 2022: Andrew Clyde votes against House Amendment 262, which would require the FBI, Department of Homeland Security, and Secretary of Defense to publish a report on the infiltration of American law enforcment by Neo-Nazis and white supremacists, offer measures to be taken to remove them from their ranks, and prevent further infiltration by others.
So, to review, Andrew Clyde has voted against any and all legislation that runs counter to white supremacy, and has repeatedly gone out of his way to show with his words and actions, that he supports Donald Trump’s coup attempt and attack on American democracy on January 6th. Georgia’s 9th District has a +30 lean in the Cook Partisan Voting Index, so now that he’s advanced out of the primary, it seems like Democratic challenger Michael Ford is going to have a hell of a hill to climb to beat him. It’s looking like the 14th Amendment being invoked will be the only way Clyde isn’t in office in 2023.
One Year Ago, July 17th, 2021: Shane Hazel (GA)
Two Years Ago, July 17th, 2020: Renee Unterman (GA)… 2020 Update
Three Years Ago, July 17th, 2019: Renee Unterman (GA)… 2019 Update
Four Years Ago, July 17th, 2018: Renee Unterman (GA)… 2018 Update
Five Years Ago, July 17th, 2017: Renee Unterman (GA)… Original Profile
Six Years Ago, July 17th, 2016: Mike Huckabee (AR)… 2016 Update
Seven Years Ago, July 17th, 2015: Mike Huckabee (AR)… Original Profile
Eight Years Ago, July 17th, 2014: Sharron Angle (NV)